When I first went natural a couple years ago, I was obsessed with beauty and natural hair blogs and websites. Through my many hours of perusing these sites, I found a hair recipe that was easy to make and would last a long time. I tweaked it a bit to suit my needs, but the major ingredients did not change.
This hair product is a hair butter made using shea butter and cocoa butter and a collection of oils. You can use any combination of oils that you like. However, you should make sure that you have a mixture of carrier and essential oils.
Here is what you will need:
1 cup Shea butter*
1/3 cup Cocoa butter
¼ cup of coconut oil*
1 teaspoon grape seed oil
1 teaspoon tea tree oil*
A few drops of orange oil for fragrance
2 plastic containers (one with a lid)
- Soften the shea and cocoa butters using a double boiler. (If you do not have a double boiler, you can create one using a saucepan and the container that you are mixing the shea butter in. Put the butters into the plastic container and then put that container into a saucepan filled with water.) Do not let any water come into contact with your butters.
- Turn the stove burner to a low to medium heat setting and stir the butter mixture for a few minutes until it is soft, but not liquefied.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add your desired oils.
- Use your hand blender to whip the mixture until the texture is light and fluffy and resembles cake frosting. Make sure that you have properly incorporated your oils into your butter mix.
- When you have reached your desired consistency, scoop your butter mixture into a container and store in a cool, dry place.